Saturday 23 February 2013

Our Little Worlds


We all have our own little worlds, right? Or at least most of us do. You know, the world you keep yourself locked in, the one that keeps you from seeing the pain of others, from reaching out to offer a kind word or a helping hand or even a prayer for a hurting soul.

Sometimes I stay in my own little world to escape the harsh realities of this life. I know there’s a big world out there but I just shut it out. Why? Because sometimes when it’s hard for me to deal with issues I have it’s easier to just tune everything out and then it’s just me and things that help me cope- the Word, inspirational music, writing or just immersing myself in an imaginary world of people in novels. 



Other times I refuse to leave my little world not because I’m necessarily dealing with a personal issue but because it’s too painful to look people in the eye, feel their pain and help...because I don’t want to destroy the little piece of heaven I have created for myself...or because feeling the pain of someone will prompt me to take an action to help and well, I may be feeling too comfortable in my little world to be bothered. So sometimes I avoid them...the little pleading eyes, the outstretched hands desperately needing a touch, the forlorn voice calling out...and I just walk hurriedly on, shrugging off the need to help even in the smallest way.

Stepping out of our little worlds makes us see the anguish, the fear, the despair in people and really, nobody likes to feel all of these emotions because happiness and peace do not dwell in them. But I’m realizing that if we’re all to stay in our little world’s those who are hurting real bad and need help will be left all alone in their misery.  How sad. :( I have realized life is not just about me or what I may be dealing with or my feelings.

These days I’m finding happiness in helping others even when my life is shattering into a million pieces. I’m learning that God reaches out to me when I reach out to someone else hurting. You can image how gloomy and sad life would be if we all decided to keep locked inside... No one will reach out to another person, everyone will be nursing their deep cut wounds...imagine. That is not the kind of life God wants us to live. He wants us to help heal each other through the pain, the sorrow, the hurt, our fears. 


 We need to reach out for help to heal ourselves, and reach out to others hurting. That’s the way we learn to love and accept people as they are. And God’s Word is constantly teaching me how to be better. I don’t have to wait for someone to reach out to me before I offer some help. The condition of the person alone should speak to me, break my heart and touch my heart. And if I have nothing material to offer, I’ll be sure to say a prayer for that hurting soul.

Matthew West’s songMy own little world hits the nail deeply on the head. Do take time to listen to it. It conveys my personal thoughts and feelings.


 I constantly pray to God to break my heart for what breaks His, to give me the courage to grant the silent requests of people going through hell, people who may be in far worse situations than I am in. I may not feel comfortable helping at that particular time but I know it’s the right thing to do. What better way to love people as God wants us to than to help them out when they’re troubled and feel helpless? That’s the way of love...putting someone else’s need before yours... not being selfish. But we also have to remember that God says we should love our neighbor as ourselves, not more than ourselves.
  
“And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength. The second is this, ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” Mark 12:30,31


Let’s remember some verses on helping others:

“For the poor will never cease out of the land; therefore I command you, open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor, in the land.” Deuteronomy 15:11

“But if anyone has the world’s goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God’s love abide in him?” 1 John 3:17

“Religion that is pure and undefiled before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.” James 1:27

“Sell your possessions, and give alms; provide yourselves with purses that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” Luke 12:33,34


“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.” John 15:12,13

“Contribute to the needs of the saints, practice hospitality.” Romans 12:13

“Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.” Galatians 6:2

“Do nothing from selfishness or conceit, but in humility count others better than yourselves.” Philippians 2:3
I pray God gives us the strength to leave our little worlds and reach out to the hurting.

Have a lovely weekend! xoxo

Delali.

No comments:

Share your thoughts away, dearie. :)

Post a Comment

Soaring Up In Sunshine

Soaring Up In Sunshine
//sharing my heart in the glow of the sun//
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...