Monday 4 February 2013

College And God

Hi friends, this past weekend has been quite hectic and busy for me since I had to pack up and leave for school. But the good part is that it’s my very last semester as an undergrad! Ever. The past three and half years in school hasn't been easy, but I survived it all only by the blessed grace of my Father. I’m excited and at the same time a bit nervous about what the future holds. I choose to believe there’s so much good at the end of my undergraduate studies and Jeremiah 29:11 helps ease my uncertainties about the unknown. It says “For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Isn’t this wonderful? To know that I don’t have the slightest idea about what could happen tomorrow, next month or next year, but God does. I am His child and there’s no way He’s going to bring me to harm so I choose to believe in His Word.

My beautiful picture

 The whole packing, unpacking and settling in was quite overwhelming as usual. I’m still settling in and trying to get into a familiar pace. I’m back to the place full of worldly parties, fornication, perversion and all sorts of ungodliness, where few people are willing to stand, unashamedly for their Christian beliefs, a place full of lukewarm Christians and people who compromise to get whatever it is they want... a place where ‘Christians’ look exactly like the world and there’s no clear cut distinction. This is a world where you get mocked at because you refuse to go with the crowd which is doing the wrong thing, and people try to make you feel weird for choosing the road less traveled by, making it impossible for you to trust anyone at all but yourself. It’s a world where good is bad and bad is made good. I'm not some perfect person who doesn't sin, no. I fall but I'm determined to cling to God like crazy and walk in righteousness.I want my spirit to win the battle against my flesh. “Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!” Isaiah 5:20

“Now this I affirm and testify in the Lord, that you may no longer live as Gentiles do, in the futility of their minds; they are darkened in their understanding, alienated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them, due to their hardness of heart; they have become callous and given themselves up to licentiousness, greedy to practice every kind of uncleanness.” Ephesians 4:17-19

My beautiful picture

I’m back to the world where guys pass silly comments because you ignore them when they hit on you. (They seriously need to grow up and give that a rest.) It’s interesting how people do just about anything to cover up their wounded egos and try to belittle you. SMH I’m back to the world where some people try to pick a fight with you in the library because you tell them to shush up. (Yes, even when you say it in a polite way.) It’s like they just don’t get it that libraries are supposed to be quiet and not for chit chatting or cranking up their music. Sigh. This world can get crazy demanding from school stuff to extra curricula stuff and everything else in between. It can be a drag...and that’s the thing, I don’t want to be caught up in all these things in school and end up forgetting to live and not exist. I don’t want to get so caught up and forget my relationship with God.

In this final lap, I want to remind myself not to rush anything. Not my conversations with God or with anything else. Like this morning I had to rush to lectures and I didn’t have some quiet time with my Father. No, I don’t want to get too busy for God. He gave me this life in the first place and I want to acknowledge Him all the time because He doesn’t fail to wake me up and take care of me each day.

My beautiful picture

 I want to take in the scenery of my college more slowly and enjoy the cool breezes. I want to stop and smell the flowers, enjoy the skies above and simply live. I’m going to take a deep breath, take it all in and love it all out. I want to live the colorful and beautiful life that God Himself intended for me. I’m bracing myself up for the days ahead when things seem too tough and fear creeps in. In those days I want to remind myself of John 14:27 “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”

 When I get weak and frustrated, I want to believe in the words of Isaiah 40:29-31 “He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength, they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.” I don’t want to do this thing called life without Jesus, at all. He’s my peace in this messy, troubling world. So on the heavy days, I don’t want to forget His peace and His many wonderful promises. “His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us to His own glory and excellence, by which He has granted to us His precious and very great promises, that through these you may escape from the corruption that is in the world because of passion, and become partakers of the divine nature.” 2 Peter 1:3,4

My beautiful picture

I choose to be unmoved by the difficulties I’m encountering and the ones ahead. I may begin to panic but I’ll always run to the loving arms of Jesus, because He’s my hideaway, my closest friend who calms me and refuses to give up on me. Aaahhh, how comforting! I don’t want to lose focus in my walk with Him and I don’t want to feel discontentment creep up on me. I believe God’s words about me and I’m letting all insecurities fall to the side. 1 Timothy 6:6 “There is great gain in godliness with contentment.”

 I’m not going to follow what everyone is doing because the Bible, not people is my standard. I’m going to look within me and shine effortlessly because God is my source and provider. I’m going to try and be as nice as possible to those who push me to the wall and irritate the very life out of me because I choose to be like Christ every breaking dawn and each breathtaking sunset.

My beautiful picture

I pray for grace and mercies to embrace me and see me through this final semester. A number of unfortunate things have already started happening, causing some students to lose their dear lives. I’m holding these verses close to my heart in these times; Psalm 121:7,8 “The Lord will keep you from all evil; He will keep your life. The Lord will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and for evermore.” And Philippians 1:6 “And I am sure that He who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” I will not come to harm because God protects me each second and I’m going to finish everything I start. (Can I get an Amen?!)

My beautiful picture

A verse that totally warms my heart is Romans 8:37-39 “No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am sure that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” I hope you believe in this truth, that absolutely nothing can keep you away from the soothing love of God. No matter what you’re facing, He’s right there with you and He’s asking you to trust His plan. He loves you unconditionally. The love of God never fails, it never gives up and never runs out.

Have a great week! And know that you’re dearly loved. xoxo

Delali.

No comments:

Share your thoughts away, dearie. :)

Post a Comment

Soaring Up In Sunshine

Soaring Up In Sunshine
//sharing my heart in the glow of the sun//
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...