Wednesday 20 March 2013

The Places We Walk


A couple of weeks ago a friend was kind enough to surprise me with a ticket to Glory 2013, a Christian concert presented by the Chosen Vessels’ Choir of my school, University of Ghana. Boy, was it fun! There were so many song ministrations as well as sharing of the Word. 

**Me with Nancy, my kind friend. Oh she can act! I loved her performance at the show. If you need an actress, she's the right person. :)

A number of Christian artists like Danny Nettey and PastorJoe Beecham ministered. It was my first time of going to a Christian show of that nature and it was worth my time! It felt good to fellowship with people who love Jesus, and the air was totally filled with our love for Him. 

After  the program, as I happily took pictures with friends and as I thought of the joy I experienced in that building, my mind recalled the show which Chris Brown had not too long ago in Accra. I realized the sharp contrast between Glory 2013, which uplifted Jesus and made me want to be more Godly, and Chris’ show, which was totally demoralizing, to say the least. 

"Do not be deceived: "Bad company ruins good morals." "1 Corinthians 15:33



I didn’t bother making an appearance at his show. However, an acquaintance did, and later she disdainfully told me how it went and how she regretted going. Why? You see, Chris Brown made her feel ungodly and filled her mind with unpleasant thoughts with the lyrics of his songs and especially because he cussed and smoked weed on stage! Shocked? I was too. /shock I know Chris Brown is a secular artiste and all but I didn’t think he’ll go that far. This conduct of his has caused a stir here in the news and I hear talks of prosecution and all that but that’s another story.

Some days before his show, a lady who was branded in the clothing of one of the sponsors of his show knocked on my door and wanted to find out if I was going to the show. I answered in the negative. I didn’t bother to find out why she was even asking because I didn’t want to have anything to do with it. 

Years ago I liked Chris Brown himself and his music a lot! I even had his picture decorated on one of my senior high school bags. I knew almost all the lyrics of his songs. So what changed you ask? I did. I changed. As I drew nearer to God, I realized there was no space in my life to entertain such ungodliness. I didn’t want to keep feeding my mind with his songs and other similar ungodly songs that didn’t move me in any way to be righteous like Jesus. The personal life of this guy is nothing close to a Jesus follower (we all know his history and present state), so I was like why should I continue listening to him? I want to listen to people who are yearning to be more Godly, like Pastor Joe Beecham and Danny Nettey, people whose music and lyrics convict me to align my life to that of Jesus when He was on Earth. I want to be with people who passionately share their love for Jesus without being ashamed of it.

"Let the word of God dwell in you richly, teach and admonish one another in all wisdom, and sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs with thankfulness in your hearts to God." Colossians 3:16



As a Christian are you really living a life that emulates Jesus Christ? Which places do you go to? What music do you listen to? Which friends do you associate yourself with? "You will know them by their fruits..." Matthew 7:16 So what fruits are you bearing as a Christ follower? Are they godly, or otherwise?

Some few years ago I wouldn’t have missed a beat if Chris Brown was coming to town. I would have been there at his show, in some inappropriate clothing, (too short or too tight) because you see, I can’t wear church clothing to such shows. SMH But now, I can wear my church clothing to shows because those shows are to uplift the name of Jesus and those are the only shows I permit myself to attend. I’m so very grateful for the Holy Spirit which whispers to me and directs me in my journey. It makes me long for a Godly lifestyle, not just by mouth, but by actually living and walking in Godliness. I certainly don’t need someone cussing into my ears and spewing smoke from weed into my face. UGH! What I need is music that glorifies God and makes my heart sing praises to Jesus, songs that make me want to be a better and positive person and makes me want to be with people that are closely following Jesus. Godly shows like Glory 2013 are what I need, not shows that glorify sin and perversion.

"Do not be mismatched with unbelievers. For what partnership have righteousness and iniquity? Or what fellowship has light with darkness? What accord has Christ with belial? Or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said, "I will live in them and move among them, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Therefore come out from them, and be separate from them, says the Lord, and touch nothing unclean; then I will welcome you, and I will be a father to you, and you shall be my sons and daughters, says the Lord Almighty." " 2 Corinthians 6:14-18

 
**Me with Joy, a friend. Her name befits her huge smile right?! LOL

So I ask, why would you, especially a Christian want to be in a gathering that promotes lust, violence, and ungodliness? Do all these ungodliness convict you to live a morally upright life? Do they encourage you to desist from lust and temptations or do they fuel your lustful desires? Do these worldly songs make you feel remorse for your sins? Can someone tell you apart from the world as a Christian? Or are just like the world? I wouldn’t trade the time I spent with other worshippers at the Accra International Conference Centre glorifying God for anything. It was just so awesome! It brought me peace, happiness and an extra boost to continue walking my path with Jesus. 

"But I say, walk by the Spirit, and do not gratify the desires of the flesh." Galatians 5:16

**Glowing with the overwhelming love of Jesus!

"Finally brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things." Philippians 4:8

Strive to live a righteous life and remember that Jesus loves you and He's longing for you to come to Him! He wants all of your life to be the proof of your love for Him. xoxo

Delali.

No comments:

Share your thoughts away, dearie. :)

Post a Comment

Soaring Up In Sunshine

Soaring Up In Sunshine
//sharing my heart in the glow of the sun//
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...