Saturday 7 September 2013

A good kind of change

Exactly a year ago was when my passion for following Christ ignited. Well, before that I was Christian, but an average one at that. I wasn’t really growing like I should until I decided to really get serious with God. I mostly grew up Catholic and church was more of a ritual thing than a hunger for the Word or for fellowship. Honestly, I barely went to church when I was a teenager. Sometimes in a year, I went like four or five times in total, including the popular Christmas/New years eve services when the “prodigals” made sure not to miss. Lol But don’t judge me yet.
                                                                           


After senior high school, the Catholic church wasn’t however satisfying my hunger for Christ and as I grew up, I began to question some of the doctrines of the Catholic church. Let’s just say I couldn’t trace some of it’s teachings in the Bible and that wasn’t cool with me. At all. So, I kinda wasn’t going to church at all. I convinced myself that it was ok to stay home on a Sunday morning and read my Bible, pray and listen/watch a couple of preaching on the radio/TV. Wrong. I was just not interested in church and came up with a thousand excuses for not going. A funny but not so funny excuse was that I didn’t have enough church clothing. And I would go like ‘I don’t really go to church but I’m still a good person, so what’s the big deal?’ In the early part of Uni, I would go sometimes when a friend invites me anyway but I preferred my ‘solo church’ in my room. Yeah, I was that kind of person. My two man church (me and the preacher on the radio/TV) worked for me just fine, or so I thought. No commitment, no drama with church people. Great. I was wrong.


Fast forward to the start of my final year in Uni. Before I went to school for my final year, I went for a program at my current church. It’s a yearly thing the church runs, called the Singles Summit. I heard of it all the time but I never bothered to go. So last year August, I don’t know how I stuck with the plan to go, but I ended up going. And I’m thankful I did. Oh, the wisdom I gained! Ok, back to my story. So after that, I was hooked! I told myself I was going to fellowship there. And I still do till today, since last September. The reason being that the teaching is Biblical. It’s convicting. Not watered down. My church is really helping me grow, honestly. And by some divine ‘coincidence,’ a year later, I’m now a steward in church. (I began this month!) *happy dance* It’s such a humbling thing to serve in God’s house. I’m learning to embrace all the beautiful changes God Himself is bringing into my life, including the responsibilities and sacrifices that come with serving Him. I’m very thankful to God. He has a way of making things better. Way better.


“So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls. And they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship, to the breaking of bread and prayers.” Acts 2:41,42


 I totally love my new, (urm, not so new now) church. I’m warming up to the importance of fellowship these days. And I’ve learnt that although listening to preaching on the radio is not bad, it shouldn’t replace the time set for fellowship, like on a Sunday morning. It should be more like a supplement. I’m learning. I’m growing up. And I pray I continue that way. I mean that’s what life is about right? Growing, improving, repenting and moving on.


“And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” Hebrews 10:24,25


So, my point for this important rant? It’s essential to fellowship with a church whose teaching is firmly built on and traceable to the Word of God. Yeah, no funny business allowed, no people-pleasing teachings. The teachings should help you improve and be more like Christ. It should help you discover the purpose God created you and passionately pursue that purpose for the greatness of His kingdom. And we basically need fellowship to encourage us and to stay accountable to one another. 


I pray you don’t waste anymore time in making up your mind about going to church,(the right kind) and not just going, but being changed by the Word too.


Good change is waiting for you. xoxo


Delali.


No comments:

Share your thoughts away, dearie. :)

Post a Comment

Soaring Up In Sunshine

Soaring Up In Sunshine
//sharing my heart in the glow of the sun//
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...